Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cyclist and Ironman triathlete struck by lightning in Boulder, Colorado


So what do you do after you are struck by lightning while training for an Ironman triathlon.
If you are 44-year-old Terri Menghini you go out and buy a Powerball ticket.
"I was just lucky. So I'm going to go buy a Powerball ticket now," Menghini said.

The mother of 5 was riding mile 78 of her 100-mile bike ride on North Foothills Highway just ourside of Boulder, Colorado near Longhorn Road, when the sky turns dark and she saw lightning in the distance.

"I thought, 'I'm two miles from my car. That's about five minutes. I'm going to go for it,'" Menghini said.

But luck was not on her side.

"There was one lightning bolt and within a minute, the second one got me," she added.
Menghini passed out and when she woke up she could not move her arms and there were people standing over her holding umbrellas.

She was taken to Boulder Community Hospital were she was treated for her injuries, which included a temporary loss of eye sight, fortunately she was mostly uninjured and she was eventually released.

"My training, I'm still going to do it," she said. "I've been an athlete my whole life, and I'm not going to stop that."

To read the original article, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment