Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Letter from Stephen Albright


From: Stephen Albright
Subject: "Wanna Race?"

To: mthrower@triathletemag.com

Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 10:44 AM


Dear Mitch:

If I wasn't constantly training for the next Ironman race, I am sure that I would be divorced, with minimal visitation rights. However, you are right, training for a triathlon makes the escape meaningful to those significant others whose support is needed. If I can race in an exotic location with sun, sand and a spa, I can even get race support. This past weekend I was able to involve my brother and sister (we are all in the Masters group) in a triathlon relay (their first).

When I previously asked "Wanna Race?" I just wanted to have some fun, and I thought they would have some too. The results weren't important. The escape was. I couldn't help but smile as I listened to their post race excuses, time splits, and need to improve for next year. There was no discussion of anything other than the race; it was suddenly all that mattered. Just for one day, the escape was complete. It took me back to a time long ago.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Stephen Albright
~

No comments:

Post a Comment