Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jessica Kirkwood - Triathlete, Ultramarathon Runner and Now Blogger


My friend, Jessica Kirkwood, started a blog, and it chronicles her adventures living on the big island of Hawaii as a triathlete and a writer. Here is an exercpt...

"I just completed the entire Sea to Summit Kileaua Volcano ultramarathon on the East Coast of the Big Island this past weekend! Bree Wee (crazy fast ironman girl from Kona) coulnd't make it as my relay partner, so I signed up at around 5am yesterday morning on my own, for the 6am start. Jess Kirkwood style, I know.

We started the run at 6am, still in the dark, from Coconut Island right downtown. It was a comfortable temperature. I started off really light, conversation pace, holding myself back a lot. I felt super light as I settled into a good pace for the first 8 miles (13k), running steady but not fast at a very gradual grade from the Banyan trees in the Japanese gardens and up the main highway heading south.

I just kept thinking... make it to the half. I did the first half (21k/13miles) in just under 1:45 and an elevation of 1500ft (I think most hilly halfs reach a max total of 300-500ft of climbed elevation). I wanted to..." To read the rest of her blog click here.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment