Saturday, February 23, 2008

Big Waves Heading for California - The Body Surf Triathlon?


I know, I know, flights are getting cancelled, snow is falling and the country has been packed in a deep arctic push for months. But here in La Jolla, California, we just had our own big winter storm and it even knocked over my patio furniture.

Our storm comes complete with big waves like the one above, shot in La Jolla during one of our prior storms. Surfers are preparing their surfboards. Imagine a triathlon with waves like that.

Thanks to our Southern California winter, I even had to wear two jackets on today's mountain bike ride, because it was only 59 degrees Fahrenheit. I know, you brave souls in New York City running in Central Park with freezing temperatures are laughing at me, but hey, I've been acclimatized to Southern California. Got skinny-latte?


Tonight...

"THE SURF IS EXPECTED TO BUILD RAPIDLY LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS A VERY LARGE...LONG PERIOD...WEST SWELL ARRIVES. BY SUNDAY EVENING...MOST OF THE COAST SHOULD HAVE WAVES 7 TO 10 FEET WITH SETS TO 15 FEET. THE SURF IS EXPECTED TO PEAK SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING WHEN SOME WAVES COULD BE HIGHER... ESPECIALLY ON THE POINT BREAKS AND OUTER REEFS."

Photo: Mitch Thrower from yesterday's mountain bike ride up to the hidden trails on Mt. Soledad.
~

1 comment: